- •A variety of pelvic floor disorders can be present in women with DM1.
- •Urinary incontinence (60.0%) is prevalent among women with DM1.
- •Anal incontinence (56.3%), mainly flatal incontinence, is also frequent in women with DM1.
- •The phenotype is associated with prevalence of anal incontinence and abdominal pain and urinary incontinence severity.
- •Colorectal-anal symptoms had a high impact on participation and emotional domains.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Epidemiological surveillance of myotonic dystrophy type 1: A 25-year population-based study.Neuromuscular Disorders. 2012; 22: 974-979
- Molecular basis of myotonic dystrophy: expansion of a trinucleotide (CTG) repeat at the 3′ end of a transcript encoding a protein kinase family member.Cell. 1992; 68: 799-808
- A 9-year follow-up study of quantitative muscle strength changes in myotonic dystrophy type 1.J Neurol. 2018; 265: 1698-1705
- Daytime sleepiness and myotonic dystrophy.Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2013; 13: 340
- Prevalence and correlates of apathy in myotonic dystrophy type 1.BMC Neurology. 2015; 15 (148-148)
- Unravelling the myotonic dystrophy type 1 clinical spectrum: A systematic registry-based study with implications for disease classification.Revue Neurologique. 2016; 172: 572-580
- Myotonic Dystrophy Type 1.in: Adam M.P. GeneReviews(®). University of Washington, Seattle1993 (EditorsCopyright © 1993-2022, University of Washington, Seattle. GeneReviews is a registered trademark of the University of Washington, Seattle. All rights reserved.: Seattle (WA))
- Is there a lower urinary tract dysfunction in patients with myotonic dystrophy?. [French].Annales de Readaptation et de Medecine Physique. 1994; 37: 415-418
- 5th International Consultation on Incontinence Paris, February 2012.ICUD consultations, Paris2012
- Female pelvic floor anatomy: the pelvic floor, supporting structures, and pelvic organs.Reviews in urology. 2004; 6: S2
- Genitourinary and lower gastrointestinal conditions in patients with myotonic dystrophy type 1: A systematic review of evidence and implications for clinical practice.Neuromuscular Disorders. 2022;
- Consensus-based care recommendations for adults with myotonic dystrophy type 1.Neurol Clin Pract. 2018; 8: 507-520
- Fourth international consultation on incontinence recommendations of the international scientific committee: Evaluation and treatment of urinary incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse, and fecal incontinence.Neurourology & Urodynamics. 2010; 29: 213
- Lower urinary tract and bowel dysfunction in patients with myotonic dystrophy.Journal of Neuromuscular Diseases. 2014; 1: S200-S201
- Gender as a Modifying Factor Influencing Myotonic Dystrophy Type 1 Phenotype Severity and Mortality: A Nationwide Multiple Databases Cross-Sectional Observational Study.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0148264
- Consensus-based care recommendations for adults with myotonic dystrophy type 1.Neurology: Clinical Practice. 2018; 8: 507-520
- Clinical and Genetic Characteristics of Childhood-onset Myotonic Dystrophy.Muscle & nerve. 2019; : 14
- ICIQ: a brief and robust measure for evaluating the symptoms and impact of urinary incontinence.Neurourology And Urodynamics. 2004; 23: 322-330
- The International Consultation on Incontinence Modular Questionnaire: www.iciq.net.The Journal of Urology. 2006; 175: 1063-1066
- Psychometric evaluation of 2 comprehensive condition-specific quality of life instruments for women with pelvic floor disorders.American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 2001; 185: 1388-1395
- Quality of life instruments for women with pelvic organ prolapse.J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris). 2003; 32: 503-507
- Further validation of the short form versions of the Pelvic Floor Distress Inventory (PFDI) and Pelvic Floor Impact Questionnaire (PFIQ).Neurourology And Urodynamics. 2011; 30: 541-546
- Short forms of two condition-specific quality-of-life questionnaires for women with pelvic floor disorders (PFDI-20 and PFIQ-7).American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2005; 193: 103-113
- Validation linguistique en français des versions courtes des questionnaires de symptômes (PFDI-20) et de qualité de vie (PFIQ-7) chez les patientes présentant un trouble de la statique pelvienne.Development of a linguistically validated French version of two short-form, condition-specific quality of life questionnaires for women with pelvic floor disorders (PFDI-20 and PFIQ-7) (English). 2007; 36: 738-748
- Comparison of two questionnaires for assessing the severity of urinary incontinence: The ICIQ-UI SF versus the incontinence severity index.Neurourology And Urodynamics. 2009; 28: 411-415
- Guideline of guidelines: urinary incontinence.BJU International. 2016; 117: 20-33
- An approach to the diagnosis and management of Rome IV functional disorders of chronic constipation.Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020; 14: 39-46
- Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders: History, Pathophysiology, Clinical Features, and Rome IV.Gastroenterology. 2016; 150: 1262-1279
- Development and Validation of the Rome IV Diagnostic Questionnaire for Adults.Gastroenterology. 2016; 150: 1481-1491
- A large multicenter study of pediatric myotonic dystrophy type 1 for evidence-based management.Neurology. 2019; 92: E852-E865
- An International Urogynecological Association (IUGA)/International Continence Society (ICS) joint report on the terminology for female pelvic organ prolapse (POP).International Urogynecology Journal. 2016; 27: 655-684
- Clinical aspects, molecular pathomechanisms and management of myotonic dystrophies.Acta Myol. 2013; 32: 154-165
- Urinary incontinence in women.Nature reviews. Disease primers. 2017; 3 (17042-17042)
- Integral storage and voiding reflexes: Neurophysiologic concept of continence and micturition.Urology. 1977; 9: 95-106
- Parent-reported multi-national study of the impact of congenital and childhood onset myotonic dystrophy.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2016; 58: 698-705
- An International Urogynecological Association (IUGA)/International Continence Society (ICS) joint report on the terminology for female pelvic floor dysfunction.International urogynecology journal. 2010; 21: 5-26
- Contemporary concepts in the aetiopathogenesis of detrusor underactivity.Nat Rev Urol. 2014; 11: 639-648
- The prevalence of faecal incontinence in myotonic dystrophy type 1.Neuromuscular Disorders. 2019; 29: 562-566
- Gastrointestinal symptoms in myotonic dystrophy.Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology. 1996; 31: 654-657
- The myotonic dystrophy experience: a North American cross-sectional study.Muscle & Nerve. 2019; 59: 457-464
- Patient-reported impact of symptoms in myotonic dystrophy type 1 (PRISM-1).Neurology. 2012; 79: 348-357
- High Prevalence and Gender-Related Differences of Gastrointestinal Manifestations in a Cohort of DM1 Patients: A Perspective, Cross-Sectional Study.Frontiers in Neurology. 2020; 11
- The myotonic dystrophy experience: a North American cross-sectional study.Muscle and Nerve. 2019; 59: 457-464
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse.Am Fam Physician. 2017; 96: 179-185
- Disease awareness in myotonic dystrophy type 1: an observational cross-sectional study.Orphanet journal of rare diseases. 2016; 11 (34-34)
- The prevalence of urinary incontinence.Climacteric. 2019; 22: 217-222
- The self-reported prevalence and knowledge of urinary incontinence and barriers to health care-seeking in a community sample of Canadian women.Am J Med Sci. 2013; 3: 97-102
- Population-Based Survey of Urinary Incontinence, Overactive Bladder, and Other Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms in Five Countries: Results of the EPIC Study.European Urology. 2006; 50: 1306-1315
- Prevalence of Rome IV Functional Bowel Disorders Among Adults in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.Gastroenterology. 2020; 158 (e3): 1262-1273
- Epidemiology of urinary incontinence (UI) and other lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS), pelvic organ prolapse (POP) and anal incontinence (AI).in: Incontinence: 5th International Consultation on Incontinence, Paris, February 2012. ICUD-EAU, 2013: 15-107
- Fecal Incontinence Diagnosed by the Rome IV Criteria in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.Clinical gastroenterology and hepatology: the official clinical practice journal of the American Gastroenterological Association. 2020; 18: 385-391
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding sources: I, Fisette-Paulhus, was supported by a full-time Master's scholarship provided by the Université de Sherbrooke. She also received a scholarship from Ordre Professionnel de la Physiothérapie du Québec and Corporation de recherche et d'action sur les maladies héréditaires (CORAMH). Drs. Morin and Gagnon received a salary award from the Fonds de recherche du Québec – Santé. CG holds a career-grant funding from Fonds de recherche du Québec- santé (no 31011).