- •In 2019, 387 children were treated at home with noninvasive ventilation in France.
- •Most children had spinal muscular atrophy or congenital myopathy/dystrophy.
- •Ninety-four percent of children were treated with noninvasive ventilation.
- •Treatment was initiated electively for 85% of children.
- •Mean objective noninvasive ventilation use was 8.0 ± 3.1 h/night.
Abbreviations:AHI (apnoea-hypopnea index), BUR (back up rate), CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure), DMD (Duchenne muscular dystrophy), EPAP (expiratory positive airway pressure), IPAP (inspiratory positive airway pressure), IPPB (intermittent positive pressure breathing), IPV (intrapulmonary percussive ventilation), MI-E (mechanical in-exsufflator), NIV (long term noninvasive ventilation), NMD (neuromuscular diseases), PG (polygraphy), PSG (polysomnography), PtcCO2 (transcutaneous carbon dioxide pressure), SMA (spinal muscular atrophy), SpO2 (pulse oximetry)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Long-term non-invasive ventilation in children.Lancet Respir Med. 2016; 4: 999-1008
- ERS Statement on pediatric long term noninvasive respiratory support.Eur Respir J. 2022; 592101404
- Randomised controlled trial of non-invasive ventilation (NIV) for nocturnal hypoventilation in neuromuscular and chest wall disease patients with daytime normocapnia.Thorax. 2005; 60: 1019-1024
- Paediatric long term continuous positive airway pressure and noninvasive ventilation in France: a cross-sectional study.Respir Med. 2021; 181106388
- Long-term noninvasive mechanical ventilation for children at home: a national survey.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2003; 35: 119-125
- Long-term non-invasive ventilation therapies in children: a scoping review.Sleep Med Rev. 2018; 37: 138-158
- Longitudinal changes in clinical characteristics and outcomes for children using long-term non-invasive ventilation.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0192111
- Respiratory management of spinal muscular atrophy type 1 patients treated with Nusinersen.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2022; 57: 1505-1512
- Diagnosis and management of spinal muscular atrophy: Part 2: Pulmonary and acute care; medications, supplements and immunizations; other organ systems; and ethics.Neuromuscul Disord. 2018; 28: 197-207
- Non-invasive ventilation in children with neuromuscular disease.Front Pediatr. 2020; 8482
- Respiratory management of children with spinal muscular atrophy (SMA).Arch Pediatr. 2020; 27: 7S29-7S34
- Obstructive sleep disordered breathing in 2- to 18-year-old children: diagnosis and management.Eur Respir J. 2016; 47: 69-94
- Long-term respiratory support for children and adolescents in Austria: a national survey.Klin Padiatr. 2016; 228: 42-46
- Long-term ventilation in children: longitudinal trends and outcomes.Arch Dis Child. 2013; 98: 660-665
- Long-term home non-invasive positive pressure ventilation in children: results from a single center in Japan.Brain Dev. 2018; 40: 558-565
- Feasibility of a pediatric long-term home ventilation program in Argentina: 11 years' experience.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2020; 55: 780-787
- Long term non-invasive ventilation in children: impact on survival and transition to adult care.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0125839
- Long term continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) and noninvasive ventilation (NIV) in children: Initiation criteria in real life.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2016; 51: 968-974
- Polysomnography findings in pediatric spinal muscular atrophy types 1-3.Sleep Med. 2020; 68: 124-130
- Sleep disordered breathing in spinal muscular atrophy.Neuromuscul Disord. 2004; 14: 797-803
- Sleep disordered breathing in young boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy.J Pediatr. 2015; 166: 640-645
- Noninvasive positive pressure ventilation to facilitate the post operative respiratory outcome of spine surgery in neuromuscular children.Eur J Spine Surg. 2014; 23: S406-SS11
- Interfaces for long-term noninvasive positive pressure ventilation in children.Intensiv Care Med. 2012; 38: 655-662
- Continuous positive airway pressure and noninvasive ventilation adherence in children.Sleep Med. 2013; 14: 1290-1294
- Outpatient initiation of long-term continuous positive airway pressure in children.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2018; 53: 1422-1428
- Interfaces for long term noninvasive positive pressure ventilation in children.Intensiv Care Med. 2012; 38: 655-662
- Can the analysis of built-in software of CPAP devices replace polygraphy in children?.Sleep Med. 2017; 37: 46-53
- Follow-up and monitoring of children needing long term home ventilation.Front Pediatr. 2020; 8: 330
- Home noninvasive ventilation in pediatric subjects with neuromuscular diseases: one size fits all.Respir Care. 2021; 66: 410-415
- Evaluation of ventilators for mouthpiece ventilation in neuromuscular disease.Respir Care. 2014; 59: 1329-1337