- •Quality of life is poorer in adults with muscular dystrophy (MD) than controls.
- •Psychological parameters considerably impact quality of life in adults with MD.
- •Physical function has some impact on quality of life in adults with MD.
- •Greater attention to psychological parameters should be given for adults with MD.
The impacts of potentially treatable psychological parameters on quality of life are relatively unreported in adults with Facioscapulohumeral, Becker and Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy. The purpose of this study was to compare quality of life, psychological parameters, and physical function between adults with muscular dystrophy and controls, and to examine relationships among these parameters in muscular dystrophy. Twenty-one adults with muscular dystrophy (n = 7 Becker, n = 8 Facioscapulohumeral, n = 6 Limb-girdle) and ten age-matched controls participated. Outcome measures were health-related quality of life, depressive symptoms, trait anxiety, self-esteem, physical self-worth and six-minute walk distance. Quality of life scores were lower in the muscular dystrophy groups than the control (p < .05). Depressive symptoms had the greatest association with quality of life in the Mental Health domain (r= −0.89, p < .001). Depressive symptoms also had the most associations with quality of life (7 of 10 domains), followed by trait anxiety (6 of 10 domains), physical self-worth (5 of 10 domains), self-esteem (4 of 10 domains) and six-minute walk distance (3 of 10 domains). Psychological parameters and, to a lesser extent, physical function impact quality of life in muscular dystrophy. This study provides a rationale to include psychological assessment and treatment within muscular dystrophy healthcare.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Neuromuscular Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Muscular dystrophy: a concise guide.Springer, 2015
- Molecular basis of muscular dystrophies.Muscle Nerve. 2000; 23: 1456-1471https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4598(200010)23:10<1456::AID-MUS2>3.0.CO;2-T
- The muscular dystrophies.The Lancet. 2002; 359: 687-695
- Facioscapulohumeral dystrophy: the path to consensus on pathophysiology.Skelet Muscle. 2014; 4: 12-27
- The classification, natural history and treatment of the limb girdle muscular dystrophies.J Neuromuscul Dis. 2015; 2 (s7-s19)https://doi.org/10.3233/JND-150105
- Muscular dystrophies.The Lancet. 2013; 381: 845-860https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61897-2
- A systematic review of quality of life in adults with muscle disease.J Neurol. 2011; 258: 1581-1592https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-011-6062-5
- Health-related quality of life in children and adolescents with Duchenne muscular dystrophy.Pediatrics. 2012; 130: 1559-1566https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2012-0858
- Quality of life of patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy: from adolescence to young men.Disabil Rehabil. 2016; 39: 1-6https://doi.org/10.1080/09638288.2016.1196398
- Living with muscular dystrophy: health related quality of life consequences for children and adults.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2007; 5: 31-38https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-5-31
- Health-related quality of life in ALS, Myasthenia Gravis and Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy.J Neurol. 2010; 257: 1473-1481https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-010-5549-9
- Quality of life and pain in patients with Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy.Muscle Nerve. 2009; 40: 200-205https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.21308
- Quality of life, physical disability, and respiratory impairment in Duchenne muscular dystrophy.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005; 172: 1032-1036https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.200503-322OC
- Quality of life of adult men with Duchenne muscular dystrophy in The Netherlands: implications for care.J Rehabil Med. 2015; 47: 161-166https://doi.org/10.2340/16501977-1898
- Self-reported quality of life and depressive symptoms in children, adolescents, and adults with Duchenne muscular dystrophy: a cross-sectional survey study.Neuropediatrics. 2013; 44: 257-264https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0033-1347935
- Quality of life in adults with muscular dystrophy.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2019; 17: 121-131https://doi.org/10.1186/s12955-019-1177-y
- The disability paradox: high quality of life against all odds.Soc Sci Med. 1999; 48: 977-988
- Quality of life in adult patients with limb–girdle dystrophies.Acta Neurol Belg. 2018; 118: 243-250https://doi.org/10.1007/s13760-017-0857-9
- Predictors of health-related quality of life in boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy from six European countries.J Neurol. 2017; 264: 709-723https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-017-8406-2
- Factors associated with health-related quality of life in children with Duchenne muscular dystrophy.J Child Neurol. 2016; 31: 879-886https://doi.org/10.1177/0883073815627879
- Assessment of pain and health-related quality of life in slowly progressive neuromuscular disease.Am J Hosp Palliat Med. 2002; 19: 39-48
- Experienced fatigue in facioscapulohumeral dystrophy, myotonic dystrophy, and HMSN-I.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2005; 76: 1406-1409https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.2004.050005
- The associations of anxiety, depression and personal illness representations with glycaemic control and health-related quality of life in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.J Psychosom Res. 2004; 57: 557-564https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2004.03.006
- Diabetes, depression, and quality of life: a population study.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 1066-1070
- Correlates of health related quality of life in type 2 diabetes.Diabetologia. 2006; 49: 1489-1497https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-006-0249-9
- Impact of depression on health related quality of life in patients with diabetes.Ann Acad Med. 2010; 39: 913-919
- Prevalence of fatigue, pain, and affective disorders in adults with Duchenne muscular dystrophy and their associations with quality of life.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96: 1242-1247https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2015.02.012
- Self-esteem in a broad-sprectrum approach for mental health promotion.Health Educ Res. 2004; 19: 357-372https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cyg041
- Global self-esteem and specific self-esteem: different concepts, different outcomes.Am Sociol Rev. 1995; 60: 141-156
- Self-esteem, social participation, and quality of life in patients with multiple sclerosis.J Health Psychol. 2017; 22: 984-992https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105315621778
- Quality of life and self-esteem of long-term survivors of invasive and noninvasive cervical cancer.J Women's Health. 2009; 18: 655-661https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2008.0959
- Effects of an exercise programme on self-esteem, self-concept and quality of life in women with fibromyalgia: a randomized controlled trial.Rheumatol Int. 2012; 32: 1869-1876https://doi.org/10.1007/s00296-011-1892-0
- The 6-minute walk test as a new outcome measure in Duchenne muscular dystrophy.Muscle Nerve. 2010; 41: 500-510https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.21544
- The effects of resistance exercise training on strength and functional tasks in adults with Limb-Girdle, Becker and Facioscapulohumeral Dystrophies.Front Neurol. 2019; 10: 1216
- ATS statement: guidelines for the six-minute walk test.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002; 166: 111-117
- SF-36 Health Survey update.Spine. 2000; 25: 3130-3139
- Criterion validity, severity cut scores, and test–retest reliability of the Beck Depression Inventory—II in a university counseling center sample.J Couns Psychol. 2002; 49: 381-385https://doi.org/10.1037//0022-022.214.171.1241
- Manual for the state-trait anxiety inventory stai (Form Y).Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto1983
- Society and the adolescent self-image.Princeton University Press, New Jersey1965
- Psychometric properties of the Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale: overall and across demographic groups living within the United States.Eval Health Prof. 2010; 33: 56-80https://doi.org/10.1177/0163278709356187
- The-physical-self-perception profile: development and preliminary validation.J Sport Exer Psychol. 1989; 11: 408-430https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.11.4.408
- A guide to appropriate use of correlation coefficient in medical research.Malawi Med J. 2012; 23: 69-71
- Physical activity and self-perception in school children assessed with the children and youth – physical self-perception profile.Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2005; 15: 126-134https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2004.406.x
Published online: January 18, 2021
Accepted: January 12, 2021
Received in revised form: January 8, 2021
Received: October 22, 2020
© 2021 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.