- •MIP and MEP can serve as a screening parameter for patients with neuromuscular disorders.
- •Parallel testing of both MIP and MEP needs to be performed to increase the positive prediction probability across disease groups.
- •Predicted values of MIP and MEP should be calculated for a more comprehensive interpretation of manometry results.
- •Disease-specific cut-offs of MIP and MEP did not increase the prediction rate of patients with abnormal FVC and FEV1.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Performance of maximum inspiratory pressure tests and maximum inspiratory pressure reference equations for 4 race/ethnic groups.Respir Care. 2009; 54: 1321-1328
- Comparison of pulmonary functions at onset of ventilatory insufficiency in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, duchenne muscular dystrophy, and myotonic muscular dystrophy.Ann Rehabil Med. 2016; 40: 74-80
- Respiratory muscle strength and ventilatory failure in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Brain. 2001; 124: 2000-2013
- Respiratory involvement in neuromuscular disorders.Curr Opin Neurol. 2017; 30: 529-537
- The natural course of non-classic Pompe's disease; a review of 225 published cases.J Neurol. 2005; 252: 875-884
- Patient-reported impact of symptoms in myotonic dystrophy type 1 (PRISM-1).Neurology. 2012; 79: 348-357
- A 10-year study of mortality in a cohort of patients with myotonic dystrophy.Neurology. 1999; 52: 1658-1662
- ATS/ERS Statement on respiratory muscle testing.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002; 166: 518-624
- The assessment of maximal respiratory mouth pressures in adults.Respir Care. 2009; 54: 1348-1359
- Analysis of lung volume restriction in patients with respiratory muscle weakness.Thorax. 1980; 35: 603-610
- The predictive value of respiratory function tests for non-invasive ventilation in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Respir Res. 2017; 18: 144
- Rate of disease progression during long-term follow-up of patients with late-onset Pompe disease.Neuromusc Disord NMD. 2009; 19: 113-117
- Rate of progression and predictive factors for pulmonary outcome in children and adults with Pompe disease.Mol Genet Metab. 2011; 104: 129-136
- Maximum inspiratory pressure as a clinically meaningful trial endpoint for neuromuscular diseases: a comprehensive review of the literature.Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2017; 12: 52
- Pulmonary function tests (maximum inspiratory pressure, maximum expiratory pressure, vital capacity, forced vital capacity) predict ventilator use in late-onset Pompe disease.Neuromuscul Disord. 2016; 26: 136-145
- participants of the 207th EW. 207th ENMC Workshop on chronic respiratory insufficiency in myotonic dystrophies: management and implications for research, 27-29 June 2014.Neuromuscul Disord. 2015; 25 (Naarden, The Netherlands): 432-442
- Enmc. 117th ENMC workshop: ventilatory support in congenital neuromuscular disorders – congenital myopathies, congenital muscular dystrophies, congenital myotonic dystrophy and SMA (II) 4-6 April 2003.Neuromuscul Disord. 2004; 14 (Naarden, The Netherlands): 56-69
- German Society for P. Guidelines for non-invasive and invasive mechanical ventilation for treatment of chronic respiratory failure. Published by the German Society for Pneumology (DGP).Pneumologie. 2010; 64: 640-652
- Pulmonary function testing in neuromuscular disorders.Pediatrics. 2009; 123: S219-S221
Landsberg J. Pulmonary function testing. 2018: 22–35.
- Maximal respiratory pressures: normal values and relationship to age and sex.Am Rev Respir Dis. 1969; 99: 696-702
- Respiratory pressures and function in young adults.Am Rev Respir Dis. 1983; 128: 17-23
- Predicted normal values for maximal respiratory pressures in caucasian adults and children.Thorax. 1984; 39: 535-538
- Clinical relevance of maximal inspiratory pressure: determination in COPD exacerbation.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2010; 5: 119-123
- Determinants of maximal inspiratory pressure in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Am Rev Respir Dis. 1985; 132: 42-47
- How to interpret abnormal findings of spirometry and manometry in myotonic dystrophies?.J Neuromuscul Dis. 2018; 5: 451-459
- SMArtCARE - A platform to collect real-life outcome data of patients with spinal muscular atrophy.Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2019; 14: 18
- Leitlinie zur spirometrie leitlinie der deutschen atemwegsliga, der deutschen gesellschaft für pneumologie und beatmungsmedizin und der deutschen gesellschaft für arbeitsmedizin und umweltmedizin zur spirometrie.Pneumologie. 2015; 69: 147-164
- The respiratory neuromuscular system in Pompe disease.Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2013; 189: 241-249
- Course of disability and respiratory function in untreated late-onset Pompe disease.Neurology. 2006; 66: 581-583
- Core clinical phenotypes in myotonic dystrophies.Front Neurol. 2018; 9: 303
- Muscle impairment in neuromuscular disease using an expiratory/inspiratory pressure ratio.Respir Care. 2015; 60: 533-539